Monday, May 5, 2014

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD STRENGTH TRAIN

Initially I began strength training to get out of pain. Before learning to strength train all I ever did was run and I ran a lot.  My quads did all the work and eventually my knees just couldn't take it anymore. Learning to strengthen my glutes and posterior chain with single single leg exercises like step ups, single leg deadlifts and lunging variations eventually allowed me to run again. Bottom line: getting stronger fixes everything.

Now that I was no longer in pain I realized what lifting was doing for my body aesthetically.  I no longer had a pancake ass and I could see new muscles in my back. I had curves for the first time in my life! I had never seen results like this with running or traditional cardio. Eventually I explored the big lifts i.e. squats, bench + deadlift and the results kept coming. The heavy lifting got my core even stronger than before and my body kept on changing for the better.  I was exercising less than I ever had previously believed could yield such amazing results.

The strength I have gained has made my day to day life easier.  I no longer need multiple trips when I go grocery shopping (can we say farmers carries),  moving furniture is easier, I can put my suitcase in the overhead compartment with ease and sprint to catch the train without feeling like I'm about to die!

Ok so strength training can keep you out of pain, it can shape your body like you never thought possible AND make your day to day life easier! Are you sold on getting stronger yet?


I have one more benefit for you and in my opinion it far outweighs all the rest.  The best possible reason to start strength training is the fact that it genuinely makes life better.  All the things that make life amazing, the adventures and explorations are all more accessible. Whether its surfing, stand up paddleboarding, hiking, sprinting with your dog or snowboarding. The more you can get out there and enjoy life the better I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stacey's Favorite Fitness Tools: