Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Direct from the Gluten Free Goddess...MEATBALLS!!!





Craving meatballs?
Can't have gluten or eggs?
Who cares!

After my year long love affair with whitefish, my body is feeling like some meat ;)

I picked up some organic grass-fed ground buffalo

Since I don't eat bread unless someone bakes it especially for me I don't feel the need to keep bread around my apartment. I don't even have a toaster anymore :0

What I do have is a loaf of the most plain, dry tapioca-based gluten free bread that I keep in the back of my freezer for occasions such as these.

For the breadcrumbs- toss 3-4 slices of store bought tapioca bread into the food processor and pulse them into bread crumbs.

Meatballs

1 small to medium sweet onion
4-5 cloves garlic, peeled, cut in half
1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into several pieces
1 pound of organic grass fed ground beef or buffalo- I JUST USED BUFFALO
1/2 cup Annie's Organic Ketchup
1 tablespoon organic molasses (this helps bind the mixture)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/3 to 1/2 cup gluten-free herbed bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
Dash of red pepper flakes :)
Olive oil, as needed

Preheat the oven to 350 F
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Toss the onion, garlic and carrot pieces into a food processor and pulse until the texture is very finely diced. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, briefly stir together the meat you have chosen to use. Add in the processed onion, garlic and carrot mixture, ketchup, molasses, balsamic vinegar, parsley, gluten-free bread crumbs, cinnamon, sea salt and pepper flakes. Mix gently to combine. Try not to over-mix (over-mixing makes a dense meatball).

Rub a little olive oil on your hands and form the meatball mixture into balls (roughly the size of golf balls). Place them on the lined baking sheet. You should end up with about 20-24 balls.

Bake the meatballs in the center of the pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes until done (no longer pink in the center). Note: Smaller meatballs cook faster, so if your meatballs are smaller, check them at 20 minutes.
Check out more from this amazing woman here Gluten Free Goddess


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stacey's Favorite Fitness Tools: