Monday, January 27, 2014

DIET and EXERCISE, DIET and EXERCISE, DIET and EXERCISE

Is anyone else sick of hearing about DIET and EXERCISE!??!  
I want to set a few things straight.
At Stacey Schaedler Strength we prefer to refer to diet as nutrition and exercise as training.
This post is an intro to our nutrition basics. The next post will discuss our exercise/training beliefs.

When it comes to nutrition, it seems that few experts can agree on what a "healthy diet" is and isn’t.   This can be extremely confusing! I have been a vegetarian, eaten a low-fat + high- carb diet, eaten a high- fat + low-carb diet, eaten to fuel my performance, partaken in intermittent fasting, dieted for physique competitions…the list goes on and on.  These experiences have taught me invaluable lessons about how my body works. 

Your body is smarter than you and if you learn to listen to it, it can teach you a lot!



STACEY SCHAEDLER STRENGTH BELIEF 1: Nutrition is a LIFESTYLE. NOT A QUICK FIX.

Nutrition takes work and it takes time. You must be prepared in order to succeed and the same time understand that you cannot live your life on a meal plan.

STACEY SCHAEDLER STRENGTH BELIEF 2: Experimenting with your nutrition is SMART and the BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOURSELF.

EXPERIMENT. Chose the "YOU diet". See what foods work best for YOU and YOUR body.  Figure out which combination of protein, fats and carbohydrates leaves you feeling your best! What worked for you at 21 probably will not work as well at 40, and what works for Sally is not necessary realistic for YOU!

Here are 6 simple tips to get your started with this diet exploration:

1. Drink WATER! Cannot emphasize this enough. Half the headaches and tiredness you experience are the result of dehydration.
2. Sleep 6-8 hours a night (depending on the individual).
3. Make sure your body is running on all four cylinders! If you feel as though you may be sensitive or intolerant to something you are eating, most likely you are correct.  Perhaps you try eliminating wheat for a month and see how your body responds. Or maybe you try decreasing your processed dairy intake and see how that makes you feel. 
Remember when it comes to elimination; try ONE thing at a time. Too much restriction can lead to confusion of results and bingeing in the end.
4. Eat some source of protein at each major meal. This will leave you satiated for longer. Think salmon, greek yogurt, eggs, beef, tuna etc. 
5. If you are more active on certain days…add healthy carbohydrates in the form of starches as a regular part of your plan (think sweet potatoes, white rice, squash, plantains, + Ezekiel bread)
6. If you are more sedentary on certain days then your body doesn't need as many carbohydrates. Stick to a variety of your favorite fresh veggies and fruits. Don't eat shit you don't like! 
This is a healthy LIFEstyle and life is too short to eat things you don’t enjoy!


STACEY SCHAEDLER STRENGTH BELIEF 3: There is a HUGE difference between FAT LOSS and WEIGHT LOSS.

WEIGHT LOSS refers to the number on a scale. Weight can fluctuate 3-8 lbs in a SINGLE DAY, so it really shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Weigh in one time a week at the same time of day – no more, no less. Weight loss/gain can be a result of water weight, the fact that you didn't go to the bathroom yet, where you are in your menstrual cycle, how you slept…etc.

FAT LOSS is a change in your body's composition.  This is a more permanent change. It takes a bit longer and is FAR MORE SUSTAINABLE than weight loss. As you lose FAT your LEAN BODY MASS increases which in turn fires up your metabolism.  When clients are working with me to change their body composition we take measurements every 6 weeks and I have them take weekly pictures. We don't upload these selfies to social media…they are for tracking purposes only ;) Perhaps the number on the scale doesn't budge at all, but the shape of their body does and we proof of the progress!

When you can SEE your progress it is all the more motivating. 


STACEY SCHAEDLER STRENGTH BELIEF 4: EATING DIETARY FAT will not make us FAT.

FAT is actually a necessity in our diet. Our cells require fat, our brain is surrounded in fat.  Fat-Free foods? The absolute worst! They are highly processed and loaded with carbohydrates and sugars. Sugar-free? Terrible! Sugar-free foods are chemically enhanced and laden with toxic unpronounceable ingredients.

Excess CARBOHYDRATES that are not used by the body for energy are the ones being STORED IN THE BODY AS FAT.

 ANY QUESTIONS?!?!?! Please ask away!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.

    Would you be interested in having me write a guest post for your blog? My field of expertise is in writing self-development materials and I'd figure out that although your blog's niche isn't exactly on personal development, your audience would still find an occasional self-help article on your blog to be of great benefits every once in a while.

    My procedures for writing a guest post is simple and it's like this:

    1) send me a blank email, using your blog's url as the message subject to my email address at danieluyi.com@gmail.com
    2) I will reply the email by sending you a zip file which will include the guest post I've written in a .txt file and the images to be included inside the post.

    I understand the effects of duplicate contents on a site's ranking in Google SERPs so I never duplicate any guest post that I freely write for other bloggers but all I ask in return is a link back to my blog that I've included in the author bio section at the bottom of my guest post.

    I've already written a special guest post for your blog that I know your audience would love to read and if you're interested, just start by taking the #1 step of sending me a blank email as I've explained above.

    My blog covers a lot of interesting and helpful posts just like yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. And also, I think you'll love my recent blog post titled When Things Fall Apart – They’re Actually Falling Into Place

    I'm hoping to hear from you too and quickly, you've got a great blog here.

    Best Regards from Daniel Uyi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that’s actually a really nice website you’ve got going there. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete

Stacey's Favorite Fitness Tools: