Wednesday, September 9, 2009

DRINK UP

AND NO I DON'T MEAN BEER ;)

If you know anything about me you know I LOVE LULULEMON and everything that the company stands for.

The pink bag I carry around is littered with sayings I know to be true....

Check out these two.

















Your body is about 60 - 70 percent water. Blood is mostly water, and your muscles, lungs, and brain all contain A LOT of water. Your body needs water to regulate body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to all your organs.

A good estimate is to take your body weight in pounds and divide that number in half. That gives you the number of ounces of water per day that you need to drink. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should drink at least 80 ounces of water per day.

If you exercise you should drink another eight ounce glass of water for every 20 minutes you are active.
If you drink alcohol, you should drink at least an equal amount of water.
If you travel a lot for work HINT HINT like on an AIRPLANE, it is good to drink eight ounces of water for every hour of air time.

ADD IT UP....that's a lot of H20 baby

Twenty percent of your water need will come from the foods you eat (hopefully you eat tons of fruit and veggies :)

The rest of your water need should come from the beverages you drink.

Hands down, water is your best bet.

Sodas have a lot of sugar in them (don't get me started on DIET SODA)

Herbal teas can be fine.

Sports drinks contain electrolytes and may be beneficial, just look out for added sugar, CORN SYRUP and calories that you don't need.

Caffeinated beverages will also add to your daily water need. Even though caffeine is a diuretic, if you regularly consume caffeine, your body will regulate itself to that diuretic effect. Coffee is my vice so I add a more water to make up for that!

I often find it difficult to drink enough water being a trainer. I go from client to class from class to client 6 days a week, not to mention my own yoga practice or a workout to boot! I now make sure to have my water handy at all times. And you know me I don't joke around ;). If you get bored with plain water, add a bit of lemon or lime for flavor. These add a slight but natural flavor with no significant added sugar.
This big bottle holds 74oz of water and is only $3.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond

1 comment:

Stacey's Favorite Fitness Tools: