Sunday, September 20, 2009

So much to say so little time

I am backed up on posts! I will try to get them up ASAP...look forward to video and recipes :)

In addition to saying goodbye to a dear friend I had my Yoga Training with David Vendetti this weekend :)

Needless to say I have been putting in long hours and working on numerous projects and SLACKING BIG TIME on my yoga. This weekend people in the program were like "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever" "Where have you been" "I used to see you all the time, long time no see" ENOUGH ALREADY I KNOW!!!
Due to my EMOTIONAL hangover(crying like a baby takes a lot out of you) I barely made into the studio for our 7am meditation, looking visibly tired. When it was time for assists I couldn't stop sneezing or keep my nose from running, so I didn't feel it very appropriate to be "hands on" with my partner.
David commented on me not feeling well and made a little dig saying, most times instructors get sick because they are run down and not finding enough time for themselves....I think he's a mind reader ;)
During my practice I definitely couldn't breathe through my nose but moving with my body in a safe way and sweating it out made me feel better.
Keep in mind in the afternoon we had a test on all the muscles and bones from the foot to the hips :0 and I had to teach a flow.
After lunch we began training with another meditation. This time, unlike the times before, my concentration remained steady without effort on my part. David read us an Interpretation of the Alexander Technique by Tommy Thompson entitled Moving from the Still Point of Support.
Here is an excerpt :
Letting go of old, but familiar ways may cause the student to feel uncertain. However, because an Alexander teacher's hands empower the student as a whole and complete person, rather than as one who is partially aware and disconnected, the student feels secure in letting go of old, unreliable habits. The person can then move and interact with the environment according to the design of the human organism. The student can perceive, recognize, and feel his own internal support system. There is less of a need 'to do something' other than what is essential and appropriate.

The Alexander Technique teaches a person how to discriminate among the kinesthetic impressions that are most closely identified with habit and identity, and how to eliminate the elements of learned behavior that interfere with constructive and mutually rewarding response. The implication of using the teaching as a practical means of identifying unrecognized patterns of behavior and choosing not to continue to reinforce them expands the whole range of learning, interaction, and human potential. The Technique speaks to all persons who are interested in change and the freedom to make non-habitual choices, offering increased possibilities in daily interaction and in one's overall experience of life.


All I could think of after our meditation was the work I have been doing with Aaron Brooks! This ensured me yet again that I am on the right path :)

1 comment:

  1. For an ebook on learning the Alexander Technique on your own, visit www.freeyourneck.com/html/secrettousingyourbody.html

    ReplyDelete

Stacey's Favorite Fitness Tools: