Wednesday, October 21, 2009

SEX

yes I said it sex. Most everybody does it or has done it.
If you have anything against me talking about sex, skip this post.
On the other hand, I wonder how many people will read this just because of the title ;)

Each week we go through the Yoga Sutras we have to write about our feelings and experiences with each one. As will any Yoga Teacher Training this is standard stuff. For those of you who have no no clue what I'm talking about I will explain :)

For many people, even some of you reading this blog, yoga is just another component of your exercise regime. Whether you use it to increase flexibility or find your breath, it's not much more than that.

What I have come to discover is that it can be all that and more :)))))

According to Patanjalis Yoga Sutras there are 8 limbs that create the structural framework for an ever evolving yoga practice.

1.Yama-universal morality
2. Niyama-personal observances
3. Asana-physical postures
4.Pranayama- control of the breath
5. Pratyahara- control of the senses
6. Dharana- concentration and inner awareness
7. Dhyana- meditation
8. Samadhi- union with the divine

Within the the first limb, there are 10 traditional Yamas
1. Ahimsa: nonviolence, this is the main Yama, the other 9 are there in support of its accomplishment.
2. Satya: truthfulness
3. Asteya: non-stealing
4. Brahmacharya: divine conduct
5. Kshama: patience
6. Dhriti: steadfastness
7. Daya: compassion
8. Arjava: honesty
9. Mitahara: moderate appetite
10. Shaucha: purity

I don't want to confuse you so for now, I'll stop there ;)

This Sunday the Yama we focused on was

Brahmacharya
:divine contact, continence, celibate when single, faithful when married.
Or from a more modern view, staying true to your sexuality, not doing things that make you feel bad.

Each week we have ongoing assignments. Last week we had to attend several yoga classes and STEAL (being sure to give credit) flows from other yoga instructors. I was only able to make it to one class, so I decided to steal from this lovely lady ;)
Please take your time and watch this clip, if you have ever practiced yoga with me you will recognize the song!

The other half of the assignment was to come up with your own 30 minute flow that we created ourselves.

What a great assignment! I am constantly on strength coaches websites, watching videos and reading articles about kettlebells and Fat Loss and strength and conditioning....but for some reason it never dawned on me to do the same with my YOGS!


Well needless to say my most recent homework assignment is quite different (assignment is optional- we are not forced to do this, its a learning process)

If we choose to take part...

we must remain abstinent
(gosh I can't even type the word let alone be it) for 7 days.

THEN the following 7 days have sex every day.


Through this we will be exploring the intricases of Brahmacharya, and forming our own opinions.


Stay tuned ;)

1 comment:

Stacey's Favorite Fitness Tools: