Saturday, June 20, 2009

Kicking Cancer's As*ana

Thursday night I attended my first benefit! The night began a little rough to say the least but ended up being the best night I have enjoyed in a long time :) Liz Katz, a lululemon gal, organized the event herself and I was BLOWN away, to say the least.
The Leonard P. Zakim Center for Integrative Therapies opened in 2000 with the mission of enhancing cancer patients quality of life throughout treatment using both traditional and non traditional approaches.
I love acupuncture, nutrition counseling, massage, Reiki, and yoga, and I use my own money to treat my body to these amazing therapies. We have not yet reached a point where these services are all covered by health insurance but I have a feeling that slowly and surely we will :)

The Zakim Center was one of the first to realize that when you are building your body back from NOTHING, your mind and body need serious help. One of the patients who has since recovered from breast and lymph node cancer moved the audience with her powerful words. She said that after chemo her entire body was in pain and that there was no friend or loved one would could do anything for her, she only had herself. The fact that she could feel two hands on her body during a massage, or treat her pain with acupuncture, eat nutrient dense food as well as meditate was what got her through this time in her life.

The people in attendance where all like minded, positive and enthusiastic of things to come. The silent auction was AMAZING, with donations from Yoga studios, artists, jeweler's, gym's, spa's even ROCK CLIMBING and SURFING lesson's were up for grabs!!!!

I was honored to be a part of the first time event because it will surely be an annual one :) NEXT YEAR WE WILL BE DONATING TRAINING FROM OUR STUDIO!

1 comment:

  1. They sound like great people - it's nice you were there to support them!

    ReplyDelete

Stacey's Favorite Fitness Tools: